When it comes to technology, your dentist in Coeur d’ Alene knows they need to stay updated on the latest and greatest the world of dentistry has to offer. Not only can it make treatments easier for your dentist to perform, but it works incredibly well to improve the overall experience of your treatment. At first, you might be hesitant by the idea of your dentist using lasers to perform dental treatments, but once you’ve done it once, you won’t want to go back to the traditional methods.
Today, your dentist will be discussing the many benefits laser dentistry has to offer and what they intend to use it for.
What is Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry is the practice of using concentrated forms of light energy for surgical and/or dental procedures. Laser dentistry is considered an alternative to traditional metal dental tools used by dentists around the world.
Even though the use of lasers in dentistry has become FDA-approved, many dentists have not yet included its use in their own practices. However, by visiting your dentist in Coeur d’ Alene, you’ll get to experience its benefits firsthand. Your dentist uses lasers to make basic dental treatments more comfortable and effective than they were previously.
What Laser Does My Dentist Use? Is it Safe?
Your dentist uses a soft diode laser, which is the most commonly used laser in dentistry to date. This is because it is generally more cost-effective than other lasers without compromising on effectiveness or safety.
Today, there are two laser types available to your dentist. These include soft tissue and hard tissue lasers, both of which have different applications.
You can rest knowing that your dentist is highly trained and capable of performing laser dentistry with your safety in mind. When operated by a professional, laser dentistry is completely safe and very effective at performing many different treatments.
What Treatments Can Be Done with a Soft Diode Laser?
When looking at soft tissue laser treatments, here are just a few that you can expect from your dentist:
- Bacterial Decontamination – With a soft tissue laser, your dentist can clean gum pockets and remove pathogens associated with periodontal disease. Its precision allows your dentist to remove dark-pigmented bacteria without removing any tissue unnecessarily.
- Ulcer Treatment – The laser is pointed directly at the affected area, offering the patient immediate pain relief and healing the ulcer overnight.
- Draining Abscesses – Abscesses are confined pockets of pus that can develop from infections.
- Gingivectomy – A surgical treatment to remove excess gum tissue.
- Tongue Tie – Treatment designed to improve mobility of the tongue
- Treating tissue around dental implants
- Removing fibromas – Fibromas are benign tumors that can appear in the fibrous or connective tissue in the gums
Have more questions about laser dentistry? Schedule an appointment with your dentist today to learn how you can benefit from the soft tissue diode laser!
About the Author
Dr. Filip Orban was voted one of America’s Top Dentists by Consumers Research of America because of his ongoing efforts to improve dental care for his patients. After earning his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the Loma Linda University School of Dentistry, he became a member of multiple dental organizations to help continue his education. To learn more about laser dentistry or about his practice, contact him at (208) 667-1546 or visit his website.